12 November 2011

Living the Life

Dear Mom and Dad,

It´s our second full day in Quito, and we have fully recovered from our jetlag. It´s obvious we are not locals because with my height and both of our fair skin and blonde hair, we stick out like sore thumbs. There are many soliciters that follow us at times. Never in a threatening way, and they definitely keep their distance. It´s just hard to tell if they're merely interested in us, or if they actually want to rob us and are waiting for their opportunity. As long as they keep their distance, I´m okay and feel safe with Charlie by my side.

Charlie and I have now mastered the art in predicting the weather. Everytime it´s about to rain, our ears pop. I´m sure it has something to do with the dropping of the barrometric pressure. Whatever the reason, when our ears pop, we know to take cover. It´s rained everday so far, but never for a long period of time. I´d say about 10 -20 minutes. Then it stops, then eventually it always seems to start again. Oh well! It´ll be interesting to see how my attitude changes as time progresses. For now, I´m okay with it. I´m in Quito baby! :)

We made our first meal today in our kitchen. Charlie satueed a red pepper, green pepper, red onion, and six brown farm fresh eggs. For dessert (I always have to have dessert. Mom you can sympathize on this one) we had this yellow cake like pastry with a little cream in the center. SO DELICIOUS. The cost of our meal was $1.72. Pretty expensive, I know. I have a feeling we will be making our dinner in the hostel tonight, which is great as long as we pair it with some wine. :) We drink tea with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and everything inbetween. It´s crazy how much tea is served. Liz, Charlie´s sister, warned us of this. I guess I didn´t believe to the extent of how much tea is actually consumed. At least I´m staying hydrated. Here´s a picture of Charlie making our lunch.

The altitude isn´t that noticeable unless you start  coughing. Then it´s really hard to catch your breathe. I pretty much try to avoid sitting next to anyone who is smoking because cigarette smoke sets off coughing spurts immediately. This is damn near impossible because EVERYONE smokes. It makes me appreciate the smoke free establishments in Iowa. To counteract this, I just cough as loud and obnoxious as possible. This either cues the cigarette smoker in that I´m uncomfortable or grosses them out that I could be coughing on their food. Whatever. Either way, it works as long as they blow their smoke away from me.

Well it´s about that time I take an afternoon nap. Charlie is already sleeping. Like I said before, it´s tough being a traveler.

Current worries:
- will the Hawks win?
- how am I going to stop my face from breaking out?

Love always,

Matti Jo

3 comments:

  1. Charlie looks so cute!!! Sounds like you have a good game plan with the smokers.My advice for your face: Buy some dail soap or some type of antibaterial soap. Sorry to say the Hawks did not win... Dad says you and Charlie are good luck charms for the hawks, and since you were not here to support them ... well don't take it to personal;)
    Joe leaves tomorrow with the football team for Cedar Falls.... everyone is pumped for the game. Mallory is going to meet us at the dome and watch the game, we will probaly go out for dinner... should be a good time... I am nervous about the game... sure hope we win!! We will take pictures for you. My friend Kim from the black hills was here tonight so we went out for dinner at the Light House it was fun seeing her and catching up.
    Dad says from looking at your pictures you both look 100% happy to be in South America and loving it!!
    Take Care Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well nice to see after two days you are Charlie haven't killed each other. The food sounds normal enough that you two aren't going to starve. Thank god. I can't believe the diffferent in prices of a nice resturant with tip and a normal one. Keep away from the locals that aren't just starting because you are both are: blonde hair, blue eye, and fair skin. (I bet at those times Charlie wishes he had a machete.)

    Miss you more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you miss your bathroom you had a home?

    ReplyDelete

Split, Croatia

Dear Mom and Dad, Split, Croatia, was our last stop on this amazing adventure. This was easily one of the prettiest places that I've...